the hero care package experience
A Story of Our Inspiration
- Free 2-day shipping
- insurance & premium products
- military donations
When we pulled into port in the Navy, sailors who had been at sea for months would wait for hours in line just to see if they got mail, rather than go out on liberty in a foreign port. But as an officer, I was always broken hearted when I saw some of my sailors who didn't get packages-- or when they did, the packages often contained things that they couldn't use or didn't quite want.
So I tried to figure out why. Over the years, I talked to family and friends to find out what the obstacles to sending packages were. The biggest problem? Sending a care package to a military installation is just too much work. Between waiting in line at the post office and paying $18 for the "military discount" shipping option, it wasn't easy to do. And even when loved ones could send things, most people didn't know what to send. They'd send chocolate to a soldier or marine in the desert, non- regulation gear to Air Force members staying on an overseas base, or perishable items to a Navy sailor. But every service has different needs, requirements, and regulations. As sad as my fellow sailors were when to get these things, they couldn't fault the well-intentioned package sender. Those back home just wanted to do their part.
We created this company to fix all of that. We pick products that we know service members want so you don't have to. We coordinate with the APO and FPO shipping so you don't have to. And we ensure that it's easy for you to send a care package to the hero you love. Because they deserve it. Our goal is to send as many care packages as we can to our service members abroad. Won't you help us meet that goal? Jack Wray CEO, Hero Care Packages
WHO WE ARE
We are a 100% veteran-owned and run small business who creates care packages to send to soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen both at home and abroad. We make sure we stay on top of the ever-changing requirements to send packages to the APO/FPO system, and use our experience and unique military connections to make sure we get the best care packages for your service member.
Our goal is to make it as easy as possible for you to send a care package to your service member, and get as many care packages as we can into the hands of those defending our country both at home and abroad.
Personalized Card Exchanges
We loved care packages, but what we really loved were the cards that came with them. Every member of our team has a story about a letter from a loved one that pulled them through a tough time on deployment. Even in the age of emails, there was something about a card that stuck out. We could hold it. We could read it and re-read it. Most service members hang them up on the wall to look at when times got tough.
Personalized Cards To Them
We let you send a personalized card with each care package, with no word limits. If you write too much to fit on one card, we'll add another free of charge.
Not only that, but we included an option for you to upload a photo to include with the card (just like the card below) so your service member can see a glossy, professional- grade picture of the people he or she cares about the most.
Return Cards From Them
We include a pre-addressed & pre-paid postcard for your Hero to write you back in every Hero Care Package. We know how important this is: we loved reading cards just as much as we loved writing them, but waiting in line to buy postage was a hassle. Our return postcard allows your service member to write you a note, drop it in the mailbox, and tell you how much your gift means to them. It's our way of making it just a little easier for those deployed abroad to communicate with home, and to do do whatever we can to bring them the best experience possible.
Send your Hero a Card and Care Package Today!
How We Get Great Value
Our Care Packages are as little as $59, and valued as high as $575. Here's how we do it
Our business model and advanced website analytics gives us insight into how much inventory we should take on. Because we are constantly checking our supply and demand, we can run a lean operation.
We make big, dedicated purchases that helps bring down our partners' manufacturing costs substantially. We pass that on to you, who passes that care package on to your service member.
How We Provide Value
Some People Ask: Why not just do it yourself?
When we tried to find out why so few service members got care packages, we found out that the single biggest driving force behind it were the huge hurdles to mailing a care package. Here's what you have to do:
- Pick the Contents: You need to get the actual contents of the package, and make sure they're something that is actually useful to your service member. (This varies by service.
- Check Military Regulations: Then you have to make sure the package and its contents doesn't violate any of the military, state, or DOD guidelines (which vary by service and unit). Not only that, but you must ensure the things you buy are actually regulation. Not all shirts, toiletries, bobby pins or hats are regulation, and sending the wrong kind means they're useless for the service member. Possession of some items are illegal and could get them in trouble with their superior officers.
- Stand in line and fill out forms at the Post Office: Even if you can do all that, you have to drive to the post office, stand in line, and fill out shipping and customs forms (and have to choose between PS Form 2976, PS Form 2976-A or PS Form 2976-B) listing each item in the package line by line, estimating relative weights and values of each item. Different sized boxes require different forms.
- Pay for Shipping: Then, the shipping costs. Just a 5-lb care package at the post office often costs more than $20. The "military discount" flat rate box is $18. Check out how much it would cost you here.
How do we fix it?
We ship everything priority mail. No waiting 3 months for a boat to travel around the world to your loved one. We get it there via air, and get it there as fast as possible.
- We Save you Money: We buy in bulk to get low prices every day.
- We Take Care of the Regulations: We stay on top of all the regulations, so you can be confident you're not getting your service member in hot water by sending the wrong gifts. We make sure that every package is DOD-compliant. Any uniform items are regulation. Any toiletries are allowable (ships, for example, have very strict requirements here). And we make sure that the care packages are 100% useful for your loved one.
- Shipping is Cheap and Painless: We partner with USPS to get low rates on shipping, and then pass on the savings to you. We don't charge you those rates from the post office, because we think $23 shipping is ridiculous too, and it shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg to send your hero a care package.
"I want to thank you so much. I went to send my first care package and your emails made it so easy!."
"Thank you. Wow, it's amazing when a business can just make you feel proud."
"Wonderful! The customer service people are REAL people, and the products are excellent"
Awesome gift! It was so great getting a Snapchat of the unboxing and seeing how happy they were and how much stuff was in the box. Will definitely be sending another!"
I just got a message from my niece. She was so surprised and excited about her Hero Care Package! She is sharing with her teammates. Thank you for making me the 'Best Aunt EVER' "
My Soldier who is stationed in Korea got his Hero package with just the things he wanted. Since they helped me format his address, picked things he loved, and got them to him quickly I could not be more pleased."